Etsy is the marketplace we make together. Our mission is to re-imagine commerce in ways that build a more fulfilling and lasting world. We are a mindful, transparent, and humane business. We plan and build for the long term. We value craftsmanship in all we make. We believe fun should be part of everything we do. We keep it real, always.
The technical staff at Etsy believes that code is craft, good software and systems designs are works of art, and that the work we do is part of larger creative culture represented by the hundreds of thousands of inspired makers who make Etsy such a wondrous marketplace. We believe that small, empowered, self-motivated teams can do big things. We also believe in the right tool for the job, not language-as-religion. Our current systems run PHP, Java, Python, Ruby, Solr/Lucene, Postgres, MySQL, and more.
Read Code as Craft, our engineering blog, for a glimpse into our minds: http://codeascraft.etsy.com/
We're looking for full-stack developers to help make people fall in love with shopping on Etsy.
About the challenges
We, at Etsy, have a problem - finding great things to buy can be crazy difficult. It's frustrating. There are so many beautiful, unique items in our marketplace, but they're like buried treasure. We know it can be better.
However, the upside of this is huge. There is so much to do, so many aspects of the experience we can improve. There's a lot of room to play around. We're going to be building tons of new stuff. Not only is there an incredible opportunity for great work to get done, but if we succeed, the world will suck a lot less. People will come to Etsy and not get frustrated with what they can't find; instead, they'll be delighted with what they do find. Not only that, making our marketplace more pleasurable to use really ends up helping the folks who sell their wares on Etsy. If we do our job right, the huge group of craftspeople and artisans who sell on Etsy will benefit. That's pretty inspiring.
About the Position
You'll be helping us build new and awesome experiences for people shopping on Etsy. We're looking for full-stack engineers - you'll be dealing with the MySQL, Memcache, PHP, and front-end stuff (HTML/CSS/JS). The teams working on each feature are pretty small (a few engineers, a designer, and a product manager), so there's a lot of meaningful collaboration.
Because we're making user-facing features, we believe strongly in collecting and analyzing numerical data to help guide our decisions. To that end, you'll be able to use our in-house analytics tools to gather information and gain insight. You'll also be able to use Etsy's Continuous Deployment architecture to push code to production whenever you please (and you'll probably push on your first day here).
If this all sounds exciting to you, you should come work with us. Here are some statements that should apply to you:
- You should be able to turn ideas into extremely fast and reliable code that other people – or you, six months in the future – will find wonderfully easy to comprehend and modify.
- You should take pleasure in helping others around you become better developers, and working to make the people around you successful.
- You should be able to write well. You should be able to have healthy conversations.
- You should have ideas when you're walking around or out with friends or whatever, and then you jot them down and share them with other people.
- You should like music.
- You should have had a job or two where things went really right and really wrong. You should have opinions about why this happened.
- You should take great pleasure in creation, momentum, chaos, vibrancy, spontaneity, debate, and silence.
- You should feel comfortable doing things, even when no one is telling you exactly what to do.
If this sounds good, seriously, get in touch. We really want to make Etsy better. We need help.
Etsy is the marketplace we make together. We have 25 million members in 200 countries. In 2012, our sellers grossed more than $895 million in sales. Our mission is to reimagine commerce to build a more fulfilling and lasting world.
Our offices are like this http://www.avc.com/a_vc/2010/09/the-office-matters.html and this http://www.officesnapshots.com/2010/10/11/etsy-offices/. We're empowered and expected to be ourselves, share our ideas and figure out what we can each do to keep Etsy evolving. We have full company-paid benefits, including family and domestic partner benefits, humane working hours, couches, quiet spaces, lunch twice a week and handmade desks.
We're growing rapidly and are well-funded with a proven business model and established revenue to help us continue serving our community.
As you’ve probably guessed, Etsy is a place that values individuality and variety. We don’t want you to be like everyone else, we don’t even want you to be like us---we want you to be like you! So write to us, in your own human voice, and tell us what you’re all about. What gets you up in the morning? What excites you? What throws your whole day off and causes you to pull your hair out?
If you have a presence on the web that we can easily access (blog, twitter, facebook, rap sheet), contribute to an open source project, write a blog, or practice another craft besides designing beautiful, functional websites, that means something to us, and we would love to hear about it when you write!
We're looking for full-stack developers excited to help millions of people turn their passion into a business.
About the Engineering Team:
The technical staff at Etsy believes that code is craft, good software and systems designs are works of art, and that the work we do is part of larger creative culture represented by the hundreds of thousands of inspired makers who make Etsy such a wondrous marketplace. We believe that small, empowered, self-motivated teams can do big things. We also believe in the right tool for the job, not language-as-religion. Our current systems run PHP, Java, Python, Ruby, Solr/Lucene, Postgres, MySQL, and more. Check out our Engineering blog: http://codeascraft.etsy.com/
About the Position:
As a member of the Seller Growth Team, you will help answer the question: how can we dramatically increase the number of people who sell on Etsy successfully?
- Deploy code on your first day
- Analyze data to uncover potential opportunities, generate hypotheses, and quickly assess the size of opportunities.
- Imagine, prioritize, build, instrument, ship, and analyze product changes designed to help sellers succeed.
- Figure out new ways to bring potential sellers to Etsy.
- Learn in excruciating detail what it takes to succeed as an Etsy seller, how to make it easier to succeed, and how to scale seller growth in a marketplace.
- Leverage the strengths of your team and other teams (Seller Outreach, PR) to amplify your efforts.
Your work must have a quantifiable and emotional impact, and you can't imagine working on something you don't believe in.
- Ability to build and ship fast web and mobile optimized features that can scale to millions of people. You'll primarily work with PHP, MySQL, and front-end tech (HTML/CSS/JS). Experience with jQuery, backbone.js, and D3 would be great
- Experience running A/B tests to optimize funnels, conversion rates, and/or retention
- Experience growing traffic and/or working on customer acquisition
- Experience analyzing data to make better decisions and an understanding of statistical significance and confidence intervals
- Intrinsically motivated, manager of one
- Refuse to accept constraints, external or internal and a bias towards action
- Have or will start a business
- Appreciate great product design and great marketing
- Crappy customer experiences drive you insane
- Effective, concise writer
Etsy is the world's most vibrant handmade marketplace. Our mission is to enable people all over the world to make a living making things. The growing Etsy community includes 25 million members in 200 countries. In 2012, our sellers grossed more than $895 million in sales, representing 70% year over year growth. Etsy operates transparently and you can check in to see how the Etsy community is doing in our monthly weather reports.
Our offices are like this http://www.avc.com/a_vc/2010/09/the-office-matters.html and this http://www.officesnapshots.com/2010/10/11/etsy-offices/. We're empowered and expected to be ourselves, share our ideas and figure out what we can each do to keep Etsy evolving. You'll get to work with some of the brightest, most creative people you've ever met—but you'll also be challenged to be one of those people. We have full company-paid benefits, including family and domestic partner benefits, humane working hours, couches, quiet spaces, lunch twice a week and handmade desks.
Dogs are part of the team, and are expected to commit code.
Excited to join us? Let us know why you want to work on seller growth and tell us a story about something that surprised you recently.
If you have a presence on the web we can access (sites/apps you built, portfolio, Github profile, twitter, rap sheet, etc.), please include links when you write. We need your help and can’t wait to hear from you!